BabyFruit Ticker

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

19 weeks and counting...



From my sweet husband for my awful
week
Oh my goodness. Paul and I have had a week to say the least.......Last week, I got a call from my doctor. I accidentally answered in the middle of taking my kids to the bathroom (I keep my phone with me for the time.) The nurse wanted to talk to me about my last blood test (spinal bifada)  that I had at my "20 week" appointment which was really my 17 week appointment. When they ask me to go in and get blood tests I don't even ask anymore because there are so many....and this will be my last. The nurse told me that the test came back positive for spinal bifida!?!?! I tried to stay as calm as possible with 21, 7 year olds. She told me  that there was a 1% chance that my child could have spinal bifada, and I needed to call another place to get a high resolution ultrasound to look into it a little more. Yes, I know what you are thinking 1% big whoop. Well, it's a little different when the 1% could be inside of your body and that 1% could be your child. I was pretty much a basket case....I got teary eyed thinking about it. Anytime anyone would come and say something to be about it I would lose it. It sucked...to say the least.
THEN, the next step was to make the freakin appointment for the ultrasound....this process that I am going to tell you took 2 agonizing days. I called ehhh maybe 8 times over and over, they would put me on hold to only come back and tell me that they would call me back. The "special" lady that was suppose to make the appointment for me called me back, when of course, I was in the bathroom She left a message informing me that she would be in the office til 5. I called her right back and I got the secretary again. Around 4:30....still no call back....still no appointment I decided I would call one LAST time. And the OFFICE. WAS. CLOSED. I got the after hours operator and raised major hell, crying hysterically etc..He did end up transferring me and of course they were there. I cried some more telling the secretary how ridiculous this was...the process of making JUST an appointment. She said "please hold."..she put the phone down, thinking she put me on hold and I heard her say "It's that one again." The "special" lady said "I called her 5 times and she didn't answer." O.M.G I was already upset and I pretty sure at that point couldn't get anymore upset then I had. I lost it on both of them.
To make a long story short I got an appointment...
The ultrasound was yesterday. It was a 40 minute ultrasound. They measured EVERYTHING. After the ultrasound the doctor came in and told me he didn't have any concerns, as far as the brain is concerned. Apparently spinal bifida can affect the brain. She wouldn't turn so he could see a part of her spin so I have to come back on the 29th so they can try again...so it's not completely ruled out. But I'm confident that she is fine...fingers crossed.

Other than that everything is going really well. I am a beast, and continue to eat..a lot. I have been really grumpy especially with my poor husband. He continues to be so supportive.
 The other night I fell outta bed. I rolled over, I was apparently on an incline and landed on my butt beside my bed. Paul asked me what I was doing. The next day we talked about it and he didn't remember any of that. I am feeling a lot of movement. I am waiting to feel limbs. I can't wait for that.

2 comments:

  1. I would have gone off on those ladies too.... I know what that must have felt like. Towards the end of my pregnancy I had to go to the hospital for u/s's a lot to check on the size. At one appointment the u/s tech continuously asked me if I had been leaking fluids...she started to get really quiet. I asked her why are my fluids low? No answer. Then she leaves and comes back with ANOTHER Dr who does the same thing. Now i'm really freaked out. They send me to my drs office with the results. When the nurse asks me how I was doing I broke down...i told her what had happened and the nurse practitioner decided I needed a stress test to check the baby. Some people lose all sight of the fact that you are growing a human being and you can't help but worry at the prospect of there being something wrong. stella was born the following week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so sorry to hear what the last few weeks have been like. That's absolutely ridiculous how the Dr's office treated you. I'm not sure I could continue to go to the same Dr after that.

    Hang in there, it's all scary but in just a few months you'll be holding your precious, perfect daughter and all of this stress and pain are totally forgotten. You're half way there!

    ReplyDelete